Every summer, my younger sister and I have a reading competition, and the loser buys the winner ice cream from the local ice cream parlor. This summer, my older sister and mom have decided to join us. So far I have the first three books in the Blue Bloods series by Melissa De La Cruz: Blue Bloods, Masquerade, and Revelations. Yes, the series is about vampires, but it's not your typical vampire novel. The story about the vampires existence is strays far from the usual damned/evil soul business. I have four books left in the series before I finish it, but I wanted to give a brief review of the first three.
First of all, the writing is great. Every scene is clearly described, so the reader is not left in confusion. The characters are well developed and just enough description of each character is given so that you have a clear image of the character in your mind. The plot escalates as the perfect speed and leaves you craving more. The only complaint I have with the series so far is that at the beginning of each book of the series (excluding the first book), the author explains things that were explained in previous books. I understand that the purpose of that is for those readers who have not read the previous books, however, in my opinion a reader should always start with the first book of a series. I think it is fair for an author to assume readers have read the previous books in the series. All in all, I think the series is fantastic so far. I'm excited to continue with the series.
I do have to take a pause with the series, though. I am currently starting Rip Tide by K. Dicke. The author is a family friend who has given me an Advanced Reader's Copy and asked me to review as soon as it comes out in mid July. Rip Tide is the third and final book in the Tide series: Spring Tide, Tidal Wave, and Rip Tide (coming soon). It's an incredible series that I highly recommend. I may be slightly biased due to my relationship with the author, but it truly is a fantastic read. If you'd like me to post a review of the series, please let me know in the comments below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog